Tuesday, May 31, 2016

C-1 Sunflower

"Sunflowers were probably a familiar sight on Valley farms during the 19th century. Fields of the flowers can be seen today in this fertile agriculture region. Notice how this version is similar to the Farmer’s Delight pattern, a pattern specific to the Valley of Virginia." ...Neva Hart







Esther used 2 different green prints and one solid yellow fabric to create these simple shaped Sunflowers.

I decided to modify the pattern somewhat for my own Sunflower block and will share below a few of the steps I took to create this Red & Taupe version.





I decided to Back Baste my block using just one continuous piece of fabric to create all of the stems and leaves of the plant.  My TIP when back basting - always turn the pattern over so the wrong side/BACK of the pattern is facing up for tracing.  This will ensure your finished block is not facing in the reverse direction once finished.


Once I stitched down the main stem and leaves, I added the leaves to the Sunflowers. Rather than sew all those tiny pointed leaf pieces, I followed Esther's method and stitched them down as one solid section. And like Esther, I cut away the centers to reduce bulk. I don't always do this, but I plan on stitching multiple layers on top of this one and wish to reduce some of the layering bulk.



I decided the original flowers looked a bit plain for my taste, so I chose to embellish the centers of each Sunflower.


I'm giving myself permission to change a few small design elements in some of the blocks. I enjoy seeing how other quilters interpret their own style into these quilt blocks as well.






Here is my finished block:

Please stop back mid month For Show & Tell and discover how other quilter's have created their own unique Sunflower blocks.
You can also follow us on Facebook HERE.

Happy Stitching!
Doreen & Dawn

12 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you Annie!
      I look forward to sharing your 1930's version later this month.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you Dawn!
      It will be fun to see how other quilters choose to make this block.

      Delete
  3. Oh now you tell me! I started those little petals last night and decided to modify this one as well! I love your solution and definitely will be modifying the rest of my little sunflowers. Thanks and your block is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you.
    I know your version of this block will be amazing Wendy!
    I'm excited to see it finished later this month.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay! The sunflowers :) My favorite!! Yours is beautiful - I love what you did with the centers. hehehe, glad I can share mine now, I couldn't resist making this one early!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kris - I LOVE your wool version too and can't wait to have it posted in the mid month round up.

      Delete
  6. I love your interpretation of this block! - laurie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Laurie, I look forward to seeing what you come up with for this block!

      Delete