Saturday, April 30, 2016

D-5 Boquet Month 8

Esther's Original Block
"E-4 Boquet (sic)
Bow knots were used around arrangements in other floral botanical quilts, especially those in the Baltimore Album style, but this block’s more primitive interpretation is folk art. Note the spelling of "Boquet." The brownish purple print was original a strong mauve color. A delightful collection of the fabrics used elsewhere in the quilt." ...Neva Hart










This is my bouquet block.
I am looking forward to the quilting, the texture always adds more visual interest.

I like the rather prim shapes of Esther's flowers and left mine as the original. You could redraw them if you prefer perfectly symmetrical petals.

I also left the yellow bow floating on top of the stems.

Are you recreating your blocks like Esther's or making changes as you go? That is part of the fun in seeing all of the block variations. Or do you look forward to seeing the fabric selections?





Since my blocks are small at 9", I again added embroidery to replace some appliqué in this  block.

A couple of the leaf stems are embroidered.
I also used embroidery on some of the flowers to help give the illusion of divided petals.

Be sure and check back the first of every month for the new block announcement, mid month for the link up and at the end of the month for show and tell blocks.
You can also find us on Facebook HERE.

Happy Stitching,
Dawn & Doreen

14 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you Deb! I love all of the color.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you Nancy, I enjoyed picking out a variety of prints. Love seeing your blocks too.

      Delete
  3. Your block is beautiful Dawn!
    Lots of tiny piecework in this smaller version block.
    Such beautiful embroidered detail and those fussy cut flower centers are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm looking forward to seeing everyone else's interpretations.

      Delete
  4. So pretty Dawn - love the tiny details of it! Looking forward to starting this one :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking forward to seeing your block Hilda. Happy Stitching!

      Delete
  5. Love your block! Especially the added embroidery! Smooches!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It was fun to add the embroidery. I love your blocks and creative approaches too.

      Delete
  6. Your block is stunning! My blocks are 9" as well and I am so happy to see that you embroidered that little stem! I also admire you for making those little squared off petals. I am thinking mine will be a bit simpler. I haven't changed much so far (except for color) so I won't feel too guilty! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Wendy, I am blushing! I decided a little embroidery to each block when I find the perfect place. More coming up. The purple square petals were a personal challenge.

      Delete
  7. This is beautiful, so much detail in such a small block, since I am using wool, I may modify this one a bit I believe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your wool project is wonderful, I look forward to seeing your block!

      Delete