Wednesday, August 26, 2015

You Are Invited....

Please Join Us...
Quilt Historians and Quilters:
Please join the Virginia Quilt Museum's Shenandoah Valley Botanical Album Quilt (SVBAQ) Sew-Along!
Esther left a rich legacy preserved by her family and documented by Neva Hart, Author on behalf of the Virginia Quilt Museum. The quilt was accurately patterned by Josephine Millett for the Virginia Quilt Museum.  This rich foundation enables all of us to make our own version of Esther's exemplary quilt.
Imagine the possibilities!

Date:
We begin our study and quilt making journey on October 1st.

Event:
Stitch and study along with us each month as we present blocks from Esther Blair Matthew's original quilt made in 1858. Enjoy fascinating historical narratives about each botanical block.
Follow along as Doreen Johnson and Dawn Ronningen share blocks on this blog.  We look forward to sharing helpful tips, techniques and insights along the way. Whether you are new to applique' or seasoned, all skill levels and styles of applique are welcome and encouraged!
You will be able to share your blocks and comments on the blog as well.

Next Steps:
We've opened the blog 5 weeks prior to the start date of our Sew Along to spread the word and give quilters the opportunity to purchase patterns and prepare them before we begin.
To recreate this quilt - purchase the 'Shenandoah Valley Botanical Album' quilt pattern.
Available in paper or digital download formats - you decide.
The pattern is available exclusively from the Virginia Quilt Museum.
Links are provided on the right side of the main page of the blog.

Background Fabric requirements can be found in the tab section above or by clicking HERE.

Quilters have 3 pattern size options for making the blocks.  Detailed information on enlarging the patterns is in the tab section on the main blog page or by clicking HERE.

Quilt shops in Virginia, showing their support of the Quilt Museum are spreading the news of the Sew Along to their customers and offering monthly fabric kits to quilters locally & online.  Click on the Shop Kits tab above or HERE for contact details. Listed shop websites are still updating their SVBAQ content between now & September 1st. If you don't see any information on their websites at this time - feel free to call them.

The Goal of this blog Sew Along is to introduce the world, and of course acknowledge Esther Blair Matthews and her legacy quilt. But it is also to raise awareness (thru pattern sales) funds for the Virginia Quilt Museum. Please be sure to visit the Museum's site on occasion by clicking on the Museum's button found on the right side bar, or by clicking HERE.

Thank you we look forward to your participation!
Sincerely,

Doreen Johnson aka Aunt Reen
Dawn Ronningen aka Collector With A Needle
Also Follow the project on Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/shenvalleybotanicalquiltsewalong





31 comments:

  1. I'm in - can't wait for 1 October!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You Patti, so excited you are joining us!

      Delete
  2. Many thanks from an avid appliquer for telling us about this beautiful quilt as well as organizing a Sew Along. I have just purchased my digital pattern and look forward to joining in with the fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So nice to have you here Jan. Maybe you can get together a Houston meeting of all the SVBAQ stitchers? A global gathering!

      Delete
  3. Oh, I would so like to participate but I already signed up for a mind boggling piecing project that will take me at leaf 2 years to complete. And I am an appliquér, not a piecer. But I already bought this VA Q Museum pattern so I will get to it eventually.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoy reading along all the history we post each month Karen. Feel free to jump in at any time along the way! See you in a week.

      Delete
  4. Not sure how to sign up for the blog, but please count me in!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On the right side of the main blog page (not the mobile view) you can both 'Follow' the blog and subscribe by email. Glad to have you!

      Delete
  5. Ordering pattern today. Can't wait to start and to see what others do with this wonderful pattern. Thanks so much for sharing it with the world!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for purchasing the pattern from the VA Quilt Museum!
      We look forward to you joining in on the Sew Along!

      Delete
  6. I've got the digital pattern - looks wonderful !! Am having fun printing trial blocks and deciding on block size. I like the spacing of the blocks in the original quilt - is that what we are aiming for? My printing seems to allow for a bit more open space ...but that could well be my printer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like mine close to the original, but other people prefer perfectly centered APPLIQUE. Your choice. Knowing your outstanding work. Your quilt will be another stunning masterpiece.

      Delete
    2. Welcome Hilda! Some of the blocks definitely fill the space more than others in this quilt. I am going to make my blocks 16". I look forward to seeing what size blocks you choose for this quilt.

      Delete
  7. I'm in. At first I thought it would be too hard. I don't have the experience of many of you. But I decided to give it a shot...to do at least 15 blocks. I purchased the digital pattern and took the first 5 up to the Staples office store to have them enlarged for the 20 inch blocks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are happy you joined Deb! The benefit of the sew along is that you have the support of everyone here helping you along the way. We are here for you! You'll do great! The first block we stitch together will be announced soon.

      Delete
    2. Welcome Deb! Thank you for your participation in the Sew Along.

      Delete
  8. Looking at the 5 patterns that I had printed / enlarged thus far I was thinking that I can always adjust something if need be...for instance those sunflowers. I can dumb mine down :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure that others will be adjusting the patterns to fit their likes and abilities too. I look forward to seeing how people interpret the blocks. Always fun to see the various styles and personalities that each quilt takes on.

      Delete
  9. I'm so excited to have come across your fabulous sew along. The quilt is wonderful. I have such a fondness for reproductions of vintage quilts especially when they have a "story". You can count me in 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome Paula!
      We look forward to sharing this exciting journey with you!

      Delete
  10. My friend in Scotland had been alerted to this by her friend in DC. I'm in Kansas, but my son lives in Warrenton, VA, and I have visited the museum, about a year ago. I have a ton of reproduction fabrics, so I'm going to use some in this quilt. Can't wait!! (As if I had nothing else on the agenda). :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome! We are excited to have you join us and thrilled that this found you thru a wonderful circle of friends!

      Delete
  11. I'm outta control! I got the colored pencils out to plan my layout. I can't believe I'm doing an applique quilt. It's crazy, I tell you, it's just crazy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome aboard Dena! I know your quilt will turn out fabulous!

      Delete
  12. Great! Welcome to the group, I'm looking forward to getting to know you here!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yeah, I'm on-board but just ordered my pattern so might be a little late getting started. :-)

    ReplyDelete